Sunday, November 04, 2012

'The Fallen' of St John's Parish, Keswick, Cumbria

















Photographs (Top to bottom): 
1. Keswick (St John's) Parish Church war memorial

2. Three ex-service association standards
(Mounted above the St John's Parish War Memorial)

3. The stained glass window & Chancel 
[At the east end of Keswick (St John's) Parish Church] 

4. The spire of St John's Parish Church
Standing aloft above the town of Keswick
(With the snow clad Lakeland fells in the distance)

For additional information click on 'Comments' below.

2 Comments:

Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Additional information

St John's Parish Church, Keswick, Cumbria

The Church of England Parish Church of St John's, Keswick, Cumbria (previously Cumberland) is one of the churches serving the Anglican community of the town. The parish falls within the Derwent deanery of the Carlisle Diocese of the Church of England.

For the Established Church (i.e. Church of England) the ecclesiastical parish of St John's, Keswick includes much of the southern part of the urban district of Keswick and a number of the nearby villages and hamlets. The northern part of the town and some nearby villages to the west and north of Keswick fall within the modern ecclesiastical parish of Crosthwaite (St Kentigern's).

To read an article about 'the Fallen' of the parish of Crosthwaite (St Kentigern's), Keswick click on the following link:
Remembering 'the Fallen' of Crosthwaite, Keswick

Most of the present church building of St John's, Keswick was developed during the 19th century. The 20-panel stained glass window at the east end of the church (Photograph No 3 above) is dedicated to the church's founder, Sir John Marshall, Lord of the Manor of Castlerigg, who died in 1836.

The church spire of St John's (Photograph No 4 above) stands above the Keswick. It is a market town and the centre of a former mining area situated at the northern end of Derwentwater. Keswick is also surrounded by some of the north Lakeland fells. Among those buried in the churchyard is the writer Sir Hugh Walpole (1884 - 1941), who lived near Keswick in his latter years.

To read an article about Sir Hugh Walpole and see his photograph and that of his gravestone click on the following link:
Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole (1884 - 1941)
-----------------------------

St John's Parish, War Memorial

The War Memorial for 'the Fallen' of the parish from the two World Wars is found in the centre of the North Aisle of the church (Photograph No 1). It takes the form of a carved oak tablet with an illuminated glass panel in the centre containing a Book of Remembrance listing the names of the parishioners who lost their lives in the two wars. The pages of the Remembrance Book are regularly and solemnly turned. In this way the parishioners who died in the World Wars will always be remembered.

The wooden carved tablet is decorated in the form of a Greek temple with four pillars delineating two side panels and a central panel. The date of the First World War (1914 - 1918) and that of the Second World War (1939 - 1945) are both inscribed on the tablet, together with the following inscriptions:

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"
"Their name liveth evermore".

Mounted above the War Memorial hang the standards of three former ex-service associations that have been laid up in St John's Parish Church (Photograph No 2). From left to right as seen in the photograph these are as follows:

1. The Royal Air Force Association
2. The Royal British Legion (Keswick Women's Section)
3. The Normandy Veterans Association (Branch No 65) Mid and North West Cumbria.
-------------------------------

Sunday, 04 November, 2012  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Wartime interments in Keswick (St John's) Churchyard

There are 20 casualties from the two World Wars interred in Keswick (St John's) Churchyard - 7 from the First World War and 13 from the Second World War.

(a) These are the 7 First World War casualties interred in Keswick (St John's) Churchyard (listed in chronological order of the date of death):

1. Bertie Easton,
Army Service Corps,
Died 5 June 1916.

2. E.M. Spark,
Cheshire Regiment,
Died 7 August 1916.

3. Alan Parker,
King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment,
Died 1 April 1917.

4. James Ellwood Boadle,
Border Regiment,
Died 18 April 1917.

5. William Wallace Boustead,
Border Regiment,
Died 14 June 1918.

6. Walter William Cowperthwaite,
Cameron Highlanders,
Died 14 August 1918.

7. Edward Cowperthwaite,
Border Regiment,
Died 18 July 1920.

(b) These are the 13 Second World War casualties interred in Keswick (St John's) Churchyard (listed in chronological order of the date of death):

1. John Joseph McNichol,
Border Regiment,
Died 23 September 1939.

2. John McNally,
Royal Engineers,
Died 3 May 1941.

3. Maurice Robinson Dennison,
Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (HMS Condor),
Died 12 July 1942.

4. Thomas Rumney,
Royal Navy (French Ship Chasseur 13),
Died 21 August 1942.

5. William Dowling,
Royal Marines,
Died 14 September 1942.

6. Robert Holmes,
Royal Army Ordnance Corps,
Died 6 October 1942.

7. Charles Thwaites Mayson,
Royal Armoured Corps (33 Army Tank Brigade),
Died 3 May 1943.

8. Maurice Noel Graham Swindle,
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
Died 22 November 1943.

9. Mark Watson Cartmell,
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (103 Squadron),
Died 27 November 1943.

10. Denis Broatch,
Royal Army Ordnance Corps,
Died 14 December 1943.

11. John Richardson,
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
Died 20 April 1944.

12. Mary Evans,
Women's Auxiliary Air Force,
died 12 February 1945.

13. James Deb Singh,
Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers,
died 26 December 1946.
------------------------

Dedication

Dedicated to the men and women of St John's Parish, Keswick who gave their lives in the two World Wars.
May their sacrifice not have been in vain.
-----------------------

Sunday, 04 November, 2012  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home