Friday, February 18, 2011

POLAND FIGHTS - 70 YEARS AGO IN WW2

Greetings,
As a new member of this fine blog allow me to introduce myself to the group. I am a life-long WW2 history buff and the author of two historical novels set in Poland in WW2. I also write a monthly column for two Polish-American newspapers entitled POLAND FIGHTS. The purpose of these articles is to memorialize the little-known contributions of Poland during WW2, the 4th largest Allied army and the only army that fought from the first day of the war to the last throughout Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Poland also had Europe's largest Resistance organization during the war. I will be highlighting these article for the group each month as I submit them for publication. For those of you interested in this important aspect of WW2, you can read all of the previously published articles on my website, http://www.douglaswjacobson.com. I will welcome all comments and feedback.
Douglas W. Jacobson
Author,
NIGHT OF FLAMES: A Novel of World war Two
THE KATYN ORDER (Coming May, 2011)

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter G said...

Welcome to the blog, Douglas. I look forward to reading your future contributions.

Monday, 21 February, 2011  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Likewise, welcome to the forum, Douglas. I have met a number of ex-Polish WW2 servicemen and their families. There are many tales still to be told of their experiences during and after the war.

I often think that the cotribution of the many Polish airmen who took part in the Battle of Britain has often been overlooked. Perhaps it has been done rather 'conveniently', even by many historians. The reality tends not to fit into the 'cosy' pattern of 'Britain Standing Alone' after the Fall of France.

If one listens to, or reads the transcripts of, some of the speeches and radio broadcasts by the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill he made a number of references to the fact that Britain was not, in certain respects, really alone.

Monday, 21 February, 2011  
Blogger Cathie said...

Welcome to the blog indeed!
And I would like to add that although their contribution is often overlooked, as you pointed out Joseph, I have found out that the Poles who fought alongside the British were the only foreigners to obtain a British passport after the war. This is little known too!

Monday, 21 February, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home