Friday, December 07, 2007

Women's Land Army girls receive belated recognition !


An item on the BBC news states that the "Land Girls", who worked on British farms to ensure food was supplied during World War II, are to receive a commendation recognising their efforts.
All surviving members of the Women's Land Army, which was 80,000-strong at its peak, will receive a special badge.
They "worked tirelessly for the benefit of the nation" during the 1940s, Environment Secretary Hilary Benn said.
"Their selfless service to the country deserves the recognition that this badge will represent," he added.

I've told my much loved sister Polly, see photo, to apply for the long overdue badge !

3 Comments:

Blogger Tomcann said...

Yet another long overdue reaction by the Government as it was felt by many at the time that all land girls were worth their weight in gold - the smilers who nothing daunted by anything- did myriads of uncommon tasks
Hopefully this badge will at least have a trace of gold somewhere near it !

Friday, 07 December, 2007  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

I imagine, like the 'Veterans Badge' it will be for survivors only. There were some former Womens Land Army girls who marched in the 60th Anniversary Victory Parade I attended in Cumbria in June 2005.

Strangely enough, even though I live in a largely rural county (Cumbria) I did not get to take down any WLA girls stories for the BBC "People's War". Those that came forward via the BBC Radio Cumbria Volunteers talked to other volunteers.

However, I have read a lot about the Women's Land Army and seen a lot of photographs from that period. Much like the 'Bevin Boys' in the mines, some of Women in the WLA seem to have thoroughly enjoyed their time, while for others it was not a pleasant time. They were a valuable group in wartime. y

Sometimes it is better for a woman to tell their story to another woman, especially if they do not know each other beforehand. I have taken down a lot of WW2 stories told to me by ladies, and very good ones I must say. Most of these ladies, however, were either my relatives or their close friends whom I have known all my life.

Saturday, 08 December, 2007  
Blogger Braveheart said...

My mother is 85, a British subject living in the US. She served in the WLA during WW2. She now has lung cancer. Are there any benefits to these women who served their country? Also, what badge is spoken of that others are finally receiving?

Thank you.

Sunday, 16 October, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home