Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Two WAAF victims of WW2


This photograph is of two friends in the WAAF during WW2: Elizabeth ('Betty') Cowan and Daphne Pope. Betty is the one on the left and Daphne the one on the right.
Betty Cowan was a cousin of my father, Joe Ritson, and died of 'bomb blast injuries' in October 1945. So far as I know, Betty's friend Daphne was killed outright in the same bombing somewhere in the London area in late 1944 or early 1945. I have only recently come across this photograph, thanks to another relative of Betty's, Mrs Enid McConnell. It is rather poigant considering these two happy, smiling young women were two victims of WW2.

Betty Cowan died at her parents' home in Bransty, Whitehaven, Cumberland (now Cumbria). She is buried in the town cemetery. Betty's parents were Walter and Elizabeth Cowan, my Great Uncle and Aunt. Unfortunately I do not have much information about Daphne, not eventhe date of her death. If anyone has any details about Daphne Pope, I would be pleased to know more about her and hear from them.

This photograph shows Betty and Daphne as they should be remembered: happy and smiling young friends posing for a photograph to send to relatives back home. It is much better having an image of Betty and Daphne as they were in life rather than the dreadful way how they died.
"Worthy of Remembrance".

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Elizabeth Cowan, WAAF, died on 24 October 1945, after the end of the war. And there is no record of Daphne Pope in the CWGC website.

Harold Pollins

Saturday, 28 July, 2007  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

Thanks. I have this information. I have a copy of Betty's original death certificate, registered by my Great Uncle Walter Cowan.

When I was little I remember older members of the family talking about Betty and Daphne. The original of this photograph has their names written on the back.

I have puzzled many times as to the reason why Daphne's name does not appear on the CWGC records. Possibly if she got married during the war in which case her death may be registered under that name? I have posted a message on the BBC "People's War" Messageboard in the hope somebody may know more about Daphne.

Tuesday, 31 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home